Peripheral artery disease which is also known as peripheral arterial disease related to circulatory issues. In this, narrow arteries reduce the amount of blood flow in the limbs. When the PAD develops, the legs do not get enough blood supply. It results in certain symptoms such as leg pain when walking for prolonged period and the like.
The peripheral arterial disease is also linked with accumulation of fatty acids in arteries. In addition, the condition can reduce the blood flow to heart and brain along with legs. One of the ways to successfully treat PAD is to quit smoking and maintaining healthy diet.
What are the common symptoms of PAD?
People suffering from the problem may have mild to no symptoms at all. Some may also suffer from problems of leg pain due to walking. Some common symptoms are given below.
- Leg weakness or numbness
- Painful cramping in hips, thighs due to some activities or walking for long time
- Change in color of legs
- Sores on legs or feet that may not heal
- Shiny skin on legs
- Slower growth of toenails
- Erectile dysfunction in men
- Weak pulse problem in legs or feet
- Slow growth or hair loss in feet or legs
- Coldness in lower leg when compared with the other side
For peripheral artery disease treatment, it is better to diagnose the problem at its initial stage to prevent the situation from getting worst. Once the symptoms start to show, it is better to consult physician at the earliest for suitable diagnosis and treatment.
Prevention of peripheral vascular disease
To prevent the problems of peripheral vascular disease, it is necessary to maintain healthy lifestyle along with other factors that are mentioned below.
- Smokers should quit smoking
- Maintaining healthy weight
- Eat food that contains low fat ingredients
- Try to keep low cholesterol and blood pressure level if the patient have cholesterol and blood pressure issues
- Diabetes patient should try to keep the sugar level in control
- Exercising regularly is important by investing 30 minutes to 45 minutes daily for better results
Peripheral vascular disease is also related to peripheral artery disease that indicates narrowing down of the arteries outside brain and heart. The disease can also be addressed to poor blood circulation issue. Therefore patients should consult doctors soon after they start to notice symptoms in the early stage.
Wrapping it up
Therefore, it is seen that PAD is caused due to atherosclerosis. It is a gradual process in which the fatty acid builds up in the arteries. Among the less common factors, blood clots in the arteries are also seen among some patients. For the disease, ultrasound scan, blood tests, angiography, computed tomographic angiography, ankle-brachial index are some common ways of treatments. Even Doppler and ultrasound imaging is also done and it is decided on the intensity of the disease in the patient. Therefore, without delaying, patients should consult the doctor as soon as they notice any changes or they notice any of the above mentioned symptoms.